Getting the keys of your new home is an exciting and celebratory moment for any home buyer. However, in this excitement, we often overlook a few things which might become problematic in the future. This could be poor construction or lack of promised amenities. So make sure, you refer to this checklist before taking possession of your new abode.
- Documents: First thing first. Make sure you get hold of original and photocopies of all the essential documents from the builder/owner. These may include Encumbrance certificate, NOC, Khata, General Power of Attorney, Registered deed of conveyance, car parking etc.
- Amenities: This is a potential area of disappointment in many projects. Builders promise a spate of facilities such as swimming pool, clubhouse, play area, gym etc. at the time of booking. However, it may happen that at the time of possession either these amenities are under construction or builder is unwilling to provide all of them. So before taking ownership, ensure that these amenities are in place as per the agreement.
- Wall paint and cracks: Do not forget to check the walls for any cracks or paint wrinkling. Leakages and damp patches, if any, need to be rectified.
- Fittings: From electrical to bathroom fittings to door and window handles, ensure everything is in good shape and quality as promised during the time of booking.
- Lifts and common areas: If your unit is higher up, check for elevators and stairway. They should both be in working condition. Besides this, see if the common areas are well-lit and have the promised flooring.
- Drainage: This is another essential thing you need to check before taking possession of your new house. Clogged outlets could be a big headache and a mood-spoiler when one moves into their new home. Hence, it is advisable to check all drainage outlets in balconies, bathrooms, kitchen, utility, etc.
- Safety features: Firstly, ensure that there is no faulty installation, and all the switches, sockets, plugs are working correctly. Then check for fire safety, CCTV, and other security essentials including guards.
- Get hold of all the keys: Sometimes when the property is bought from the builder, the maintenance agency usually has one set of keys. Make sure you obtain all of them at the time of possession.
Being sure about everything saves a lot of trouble when you shift to a new house. So, keep this checklist handy and check everything before starting anew in your dream home.